Sunday, March 17, 2013

Noises off

Noises Off  was much to read. For me, I feel that the text really did prove to be quite challenging, and in between texts it became difficult to follow. I don't know if it was the intention of the writer to show off how truly consistent and flow the play could be, but needless to say, I was lost in translation. Although confusing, I remember the movie for this script, but just like all movies, it's never like the plays or books that they've been made after. When reading Noises, I feel I was paying more attention to the stage directions and the mention what the actors were doing physically than the text that they spoke. A play within a play is one thing, but a play where everything comes crashing down, not ont is it funny, but it cause the tempo of the play to almost have a staccato rhythm to it. Everyone's energy is high and I'm pretty sure the characters' blood are rush from the situation that is happening on stage. There is never a dull moment in this play because there's no room for it. Every character is on the edge of their seat because they are trying to make the play work despite the chaos around them. Indeed the script is long and the text can be lengthy in explaining what is going on, but e haste-i-ness ( I that is even a word) keeps the audience and characters engaged in the world of the play.

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly how I felt reading this play. I felt like I would have greatly enjoyed watching the play, but reading it was a whole different story. I think this plays into what you're saying in regard to the tempo because despite being a lot to read you still get a sense of rhythm in the intricately detailed timing and delivery of moments and dialogue. I think that speaks for the play, and kind of like you said, the tempo creates high energy that kind of sucks you in, and that really sets the tone of the play.

    ReplyDelete