Saturday, April 13, 2013

Detroit

After sitting in class and discussing Detroit and talking about how the city is used in movies as a destitute place in zombie apocalyptic movies, I thought about how that kind of relates to Sharon and Kenny. With everything turning to shambles and them being displeased with their pasts and present , it kind of make sense that happened to them was apocalyptic in a way. While they are in the city, Kenny and Sharon strive to lead simple lives, even to the point of grabbing whatever attention hat they need from those around them. They know that the city that the live in is place infested with crime and poverty, therefore, they desperately do what they can to escape their current reality. All the while they do this, they end up slipping back into their horrible habits, and through the choices they make, they end up hurting the ones that took them into consideration. The funny thing is is that I too once had thoughts about hobo life and asked myself "What would I do if I needed a home, cuz I sure as hell ain't living in a box!". The fact that these characters broke into an abandoned house felt genius to me. Unfortunately, they soon found out that their lies led to a bunted house. Like the city, both Sharon and Kenny had their heyday, and just like the city, they are two broken people with landmark (scars) of past hurts that will forever haunt them.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with the whole zombie apocalyptic thing. Also Sharon and Kenny did fit in well in that world. I honestly I believe most people know what is in Detroit but they don't "know know". We know what is there from the News but we do not know what kind of people are still there.

    ReplyDelete